Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Too often drivers fail to lookout for pedestrians and ignore traffic markings and signs which should put a driver on notice of a potential pedestrian resulting in catastrophic accidents. If you or a loved one is injured from a pedestrian accident, you need an experienced attorney. The Baer Law Firm has extensive knowledge and expertise in this area and will work diligently to prove your case.
Pedestrian Accidents & Injuries in Atlanta and How to Avoid Them
There are thousands of city streets in the Atlanta area. In fact, in Atlanta itself, there are actually seventy-one streets that include the word “Peachtree.” In addition, there are miles of interstate highway, I-75, I-85, and I-20. But when it comes to pedestrian accidents, the streets are what count because most accidents involving pedestrians occur on streets rather than on highways. Regardless where a pedestrian is injured, The Baer Law Firm can help the injured pedestrian.
After nearly twenty years of experience in personal injury litigation, Mr. Baer founded The Baer Law Firm in 2020. Those years were well spent though. Mr. Baer has won countless injury claims, was selected by his peers to Georgia’s Super Lawyers® and is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
If you or a family member is seriously injured as a result of a pedestrian accident, call 404.THE.BAER (404.843.2237) or fill out our online contact form so we may discuss your claim in a free consultation to answer your questions.
The Number of Pedestrian Accidents Has Increased
Any type of accident where a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle almost always results in injury to the pedestrian. Sometimes the injuries are minor, such as scrapes and bruises, but some are more significant. The number of pedestrian fatalities gives some measure of how often a pedestrian is injured because only a fraction of those who suffer pedestrian accidents are killed.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Infection (CDC), in the year 2017, 5,977 pedestrians died as a result of traffic accidents in the United States. The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety in Georgia (GOHSG) reported that in 2018, there were 261 pedestrian fatalities in Georgia. The GOHSG states that pedestrian deaths had increased by 60% over the prior five years. There is no reason to think that the percentage of pedestrian deaths has dropped since then.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The GOHSD stated that being distracted by cellphones is a major factor in the increase of pedestrian accidents. Also, the GOHSD report emphasized that pedestrians should always use crosswalks when they are available and look both ways before stepping out into the street.
In addition to these suggestions, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a report on pedestrian fatalities that gives tips to help avoid pedestrian accidents. These tips include:
- Pedestrians should walk on a sidewalk or on a path when there is one.
- Pedestrians should avoid using not only cellphones but any electronic devices that would cause them not to watch the road carefully and listen for traffic.
- If there isn’t a sidewalk or a path, pedestrians should walk facing traffic to avoid pedestrian accidents.
- Pedestrians should be especially cautious at night because neither pedestrians nor drivers can see as well as in the daytime.
- Pedestrians should make eye contact with approaching drivers. They should never assume that a driver sees them.
- Drivers expect to see pedestrians in crosswalks, so that is where pedestrians should cross the street.
- If there isn’t a crosswalk, pedestrians should watch carefully for a gap in traffic to allow safe crossing, and keep watching while crossing.
- Pedestrians should wear bright clothing during the day and reflective clothing at night.
- Pedestrians should keep in mind that being under the influence of alcohol or drugs slows reflexes and impairs judgment.
Drivers have responsibilities to prevent pedestrian accidents, too. In fact, given that cars weigh several thousand pounds and travel much faster than a pedestrian walks, drivers should take extra care to prevent pedestrian accidents. The NHTSA report offered these safety tips to drivers:
- Drivers should look for pedestrians everywhere, not just where drivers expect them to be. This is especially true when lighting is bad, such as at dawn, dusk or night, and in poor weather
- Drivers should always come to a full stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, looking especially for children who tend to dart around and often don’t cross the street where they should.
- For the same reason, drivers should never pass vehicles that have stopped at a crosswalk. There could be pedestrians crossing the street who are not visible to the driver wanting to pass.
- It is especially important to look for pedestrians while turning because pedestrians might abruptly step into the vehicle’s path.
- Speed is a factor in pedestrian accidents and in the extent of injury. Drivers should follow the speed limit.
- Extra care should be taken when driving by a school, neighborhood or park where children might be present.
- Driving drunk or intoxicated is a crime and could result in a pedestrian accident.
Contact The Baer Law Firm Today!
If you or a loved one is seriously injured as a result of a pedestrian accident, you need to hire an experienced attorney. Attorney Bryan Baer at The Baer Law Firm is one of the few injury lawyers in Atlanta, Georgia with extensive knowledge and expertise in this area to obtain results victims deserve. Call 404.THE.BAER (404.843.2237) or fill out our online contact form so we may discuss your case in a free consultation.